Today’s topic is: Ten Facts About Me (bookish or just general about you facts or ten facts about you as a blogger…whatever you want)
- Let’s start with the obvious – I’m a feminist! I’m a newly “out” feminist, but my beliefs have always been the same. I just figured out like two years ago that what I believed made me a feminist and learned to proclaim it.
- I’m not a “shout it from the rooftops” kind of feminist. It may seem like it here, but in the on-virtual world, I tend to stay a little quiet. I speak when it’s necessary, but my mother taught me a long time ago that we are much better at doing than saying. I’m a horrible orator and am more likely to get flustered and misrepresent things than change a mind. So I go to work and try to break down every barrier and glass ceiling that comes my way. Okay, I haven’t actually broken one, but I’ve picked the last few shards off of one or two so they don’t hurt anyone else coming through.
- I have a husband and a son. I’ve been married for ten years this month and our son is five years old now, he’ll be six in October. Being a mom is a lot of fun and I’m blessed to have a husband who views being an at-home dad the same way as Ken from How to Be Single.
- I am a Disney princess nerd. I am one of those people that don’t believe that Disney princesses are bad or teach bad habits. At this point, there are so many that represent so many things that I can’t even imagine how people get such a negative view of them. I feel like it’s people who want to hate them and are looking for reasons. The hype over Frozen did make me want to throw up a little. I mean, Mulan saved China and there was no kissing involved in the movie at all, so no true loves kiss or any of that stuff. Brave didn’t even have a prince that wasn’t Merida’s brother. It was entirely a mother/daughter movie. I don’t get people and negative views of princesses. Ariel is my favorite. I try to reminder people that she saved Eric first and that she wanted to be human well before she met him. Eric was just the straw that broke the camel’s back on that deal.
- I do yoga. I don’t go to a studio, because it’s more cash than I have right now, but I’ve been before and I love it! I work all the time to try to get more poses. I’m working on a handstand and splits. Maybe one day I’ll get the full pose.
- I am a total Pinterest junkie. The link goes to my pinboards. I even have one for books I want to read for the blog one day. I have so many wish lists though, I’ll never read them all.
- I am also a history nerd. When I do travel, I try to get a local book no history that has been translated into English. I’ve gotten some great books that way that give a little different perspective. Maybe I’ll make a post of just those books one day ….
- I have never read the Harry Potter series. I read the last one but not the rest. I only read that one because I had walked out of the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and couldn’t wait for the next movie to find out what happens.
- I have some blogging goals for next year that I’ve been hesitant to mention. I had run across another book blogger that was “reading the world”. She was reading one book from every country around the world and I love the idea. I also saw one that read a book set in all fifty states of the US, which is interesting to me as an American also. I would love to do that. More important, I’ve been kicking around the idea of doing a feminist reading challenge for next year. It might be fun, but I’m not sure about it yet.
- I am an aspiring writer. I have a story that I’ve started, but I am terrible at plot planning, so I don’t know if I’ll ever actually finish a book. I thought about doing some short stories to work that, but I haven’t finished one of those either. It just occurred to me last week, so I haven’t had a lot of time to work on the short story practice, though. We’ll see what happens.
So that’s me….. check out The Broke and the Bookish for their top ten facts about them!